Have Chicken Carcass, Make Stock
With the remains of my salt crusted chicken carcass, I decided to make chicken stock - a new undertaking for me. I made the stock by throwing the chicken carcass in pot with 14 cups of water. Brought that just to a boil and then added an additional 1/2 cup of water and turned the oven down to a simmer. I then added the following: 2 celery ribs, handful of parsley and thyme (left over from last night's chicken), 10 peppercorns, 3 cloves, a few smashed cloves of garlic, two onions (halved with skin on), and two carrots. I let that simmer, uncovered, for 3.5 hours. During this whole process, the kitchen smelled awesome.
I then strained the stock through a sieve a few times, then skimmed off the fat. If you aren't going to use the stock right away, it's easier to remove the fat once the stock cools.
Then I froze the stock using a really cool tip found in Cooks Illustrated. Ladle the stock into muffin tins. Each tin holds just about a cup of stock. This is perfect if you are preparing a recipe that only calls for a little bit of stock.

No comments:
Post a Comment